Wednesday, February 24, 2010

A bad week (not too bad, though)


I've felt indefatigable for the past two months or so. However, after six weeks averaging about 20 hrs/week, and without a day off since January 5th, I finally had a lackluster week of training. On the plus side, I got in a fair amount of intensity including two trainer rides focusing on raising my FTP. (This will be obvious to many of my two readers, but if you know you're going to have a low volume week then up the intensity to compensate.)

Somewhat oddly, I was exhausted this Monday despite my low volume the proceeding week. In all honesty, I also had a stressful event this past Saturday, and I think that stress really took a toll on my body. I had planned for a super-tough HIM simulation ride on Sunday, and I could not get my legs going. I ended up bagging the workout after just over an hour (well, two hours if you count my swim beforehand). Paying attention to my body is tough when my body says to back off and my mind says "don't be a slacker," but I remind myself that sometimes taking it easy is the best option.

Anyhow, one low volume week isn't the end of the world. A 12 hour week with some tough efforts isn't going to set my training back much if any, and I'm ready to crush it these next three weeks before tapering for IM Cali. In fact, yesterday I got in a 1.5 hour trainer ride with 5 x 8 min low gear work (60 rpm) at 270 W. My HR got a bit higher than expected, and the workout left my legs beat, but it was a nice quality session.

I followed that ride up with a 1:15 run by feel. I think my HR hovered a bit above 150 bpm, and my pace was often around 7:00/mile despite running on packed down snow. This run gave me confidence that my running legs are intact -- I can run after a hard bike without feeling much (if any) of a negative effect.

I may try a HIM simulation ride this weekend by holding 155 bpm for as long as possible and seeing what wattage results.

No comments:

Post a Comment