Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Acheiving a Goal

A few days ago I was doing some reading completely unrelated to triathlon. One passage I read dealt with establishing and achieving goals. As I read the passage, I immediately realized that I need to take a more methodical approach to improving my swimming.

As is likely apparent to anyone that is familiar with my race results or that reads this blog on even an occasional basis, my slow swimming is holding me back from being the best triathlete that I can be. While I've sought to address my weakness in the water in the past by doing things like upping my yardage a bit and joining a masters team, I have not done everything in my power to improve. The time for making minor changes to my training and hoping for major improvement is over.

There are all kinds of methods for achieving goals. My method is as follows: (1) set a bold yet achievable goal, (2) acquire the knowledge necessary to achieve the goal, (3) establish a plan for achieving the goal, (4) totally commit to achieving the goal, (5) perform periodic assessments to gauge progress and modify the plan as necessary, and (6) take action. I'll address these steps in order. (Oh, and this is the first time I have ever so systematically and explicitly set about achieving a goal; I'm not always this weird!)

(1) My goal: swim sub-58 minutes at Ironman Louisville
While this is a somewhat arbitrary goal, a sub-58 minute swim would position me nicely to win my age group at Ironman Louisville. Additionally, achieving a sub-58 minute swim this year would also nicely position me to race as a professional in 2011 because I would only need to improve by a few minutes to have a competitive pro swim. This goal is bold enough to inspire and motivate me without being so bold that I believe deep-down that the goal is unattainable.

(2) Acquire the knowledge necessary to swim sub-58 minutes
While one can be a fast swimmer without knowing a great deal about the technical aspects of swimming, and while one can be a slow swimmer despite having a depth of swimming knowledge, I believe improving my knowledge of swimming will help me achieve my goal. My ability to learn is one of my strongest skills, and I should do everything I can to use this skill to my advantage. Further, prior experience tells me that I am perform best in a certain area when I have a great deal of knowledge about that area.

How am I going to acquire swimming knowledge? First, I have began reading everything I can about swimming. I've gone through Gordo's swimming achieves and I've started reading everything at www.smoothswim.com and www.goswim.tv. Additionally, I am making my way through Breakthrough Swimming, albeit slowly because it is not exactly a captivating read, and I'll move onto other swimming books once I finish that one.

In order to manage all the information I'll be coming across, I am compiling a list of swim tips. My list is arranged by motions (e.g., reach, catch, and kick) and body parts (e.g., hips and head), and all the tips are very concise (e.g., a catch tip is to initiate the catch by flexing the wrist downward). While I expect to come across contrary recommendations -- for example whether my thumb should enter the water first during recovery or whether all fingers should enter simultaneously -- the point is simply to know as much as possible about swimming so I can figure out the stroke that is optimal for me.

In addition to obtaining knowledge about "the perfect stroke", I need to know everything I can about my own stroke. To this end I will have Stacey shoot more video of my stroke, and I'll pester my masters coaches to let me know what I can do to improve. Additionally, once Chuckie sets up shop in Colorado this summer I'll have yet another set of eyes to advise me. All the knowledge in the world about "the perfect stroke" is useless if I don't know the areas of my own stroke that require correction.

(3) Establish a plan for achieving the goal
My plan is multifaceted. One component is to always swim purposefully, and by that I mean not just for the purpose of gaining fitness. It's so easy to mentally zone out and think about something other than my stroke while swimming. Mindlessly cranking out a set is laziness. Since the "acquiring knowledge" step will presumably provide me with a list of stroke tweaks that I should make, I need to have at least one of these tweaks in mind at all times while swimming. One method I'm going to use to ensure that I constantly focus on technique is to pick one or two items from my "perfect stroke" list and put those items at the top of my workout printout so that each time I refer to my workout I'm reminded that I need to focus on technique.

A certain sports cliche is applicable here. Coaches used to say, "practice makes perfect." However, that cliche has become passe as coaches have encountered athletes like myself that fail to improve despite practice. Such coaches have modified their saying to "perfect practice makes perfect." That is a cliche I should embrace by mustering all the focus I can so that I approach "perfect practice".

Next, I will continue to focus on the pace clock. As Chuckie says, use the pace clock as a power meter. Sometimes during masters I don't pay attention to my pace, like when I know that a set's interval won't be too tough to achieve. I need to push myself out of my comfort zone, and the pace clock is a great tool for doing so. I need to start doing my fast 100s below around 1:27 for meters and 1:20 for yards, which I'm capable of when I work hard and get 10-20 seconds rest between.

The last part of my plan is to swim more. A little anecdote: every time Stacey and I swim masters the lanes next to us are occupied by the Hilltoppers youth swim team. This team is one of the best in the nation and produced a handfull of D1 swimmers this year. I think these kids practice from 6-8 pm most evenings, and they also swim weekends and some mornings. Not only do they do a good amount of volume for kids as young as 13, but they crush their workouts. A few days ago I witnessed a young girl, maybe 15 years old, cranking out dips on a bench. She probably did 15 dips in 15 seconds! That was impressive enough, but then her coach blew a whistle and the girl went over to the starting block, strapped a belt around her waist, dove in the water, and began sprinting -- sprinting!! -- down the lane. A rope attached to the belt looped over a pulley and was tied to a barrel slidable along a vertical track. As the girl sprinted toward the far end of the pool, she had to lift the barrel off the ground. I could last about 15 minutes in one of their workouts before being blown to pieces.

The point of this anecdote is that hard work pays off. I'm not going to match these kids in terms of swimming volume, but the closer I can get the greater my time will improve. From everything I've been told by coaches and from what I know about stroke mechanics, my stroke is actually not horrible. Thus, my plan is to swim a minimum of 20,000 yards per week with a target of 25,000 y.

This post is rapidly becoming too long. I'll tackle the rest of my plan later.

11 comments:

  1. Good luck with your goals! Sounds like a solid plan. I saw the link to your blog on the ST forum so I thought I'd check it out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Timing is good. Gordo just posted this: http://www.endurancecorner.com/gblog/step_change

    I really enjoyed the part "Real change rarely happens without a crisis" ... sounds like something similar is happening with you. Good stuff man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Stacey on this one! Nerd alert!

    Look. 58-minutes is *completely* achievable and I think you're already closer to it than your times reflect, if that makes sense. The big thing I want to reiterate is open-water swimming. Pool swimming and open-water stuff are two distinctly different activities, like road cycling and mountain biking or running and backpacking. They complement one another, no doubt, but they remain independent of one another. In other words, faster pool times don't always equate to faster triathlon swims (admittedly, they're about the best measure we have); you have to continue to work on the technical considerations of swimming with currents, waves, limited sighting, no black line or lane lines to guide you, having others around (or on top of) you, wearing a constricting wetsuit, drafting, and so on. Be sure to include all this in your plan. We shall do so this summer, for sure, but it's worth doing as soon as the reservoirs are warm enough. Out here we have this big thing called the ocean that helps with all these skills. :)

    Fellow nerd,
    -Chuckie

    ReplyDelete
  4. IMLou Swim Reminder: You were there last year so this is just a friendly reminder. You have to be at the front of the line otherwise you're in trouble. Show up at 4:00 AM at the starting line.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fellow nerd coached by a fellow nerd here. I'm so sorry I'm about to write a dictionary, but your post got me hyped up!

    I just wanted to pipe in since I've recently taken a lot of time off my swim (in the pool, have yet to see about open water). 5 months ago my timed mile in the pool was in the 28:30 range and I'm swimming the mile Friday at the state meet with a seed time of 24:10. I'm still not doing my 100's in 1:20 like you, but I can nail 10 of them in 1:25 on 1:40 whereas 5 months ago I had trouble hitting 1:40 for my swim time. When I was rededicating myself to my swim I searched for people who have made significant progress over 1 year. They were nearly impossible to find! Steph Poplar (sp??) was the only one I could find. It seems that people are either fast, or they aren't, but do not despair...it is soooo possible!

    You are totally on a great track. When I got sick of being slow I drew a line in the sand and said "no more". Then I didn't do one or two things to help, I did EVERYTHING (sound familiar). I went to masters 5 mornings a week for 6 weeks straight. I asked every swimmer I knew to look at me in the water and I listened to all of it. I couldn't always apply all of it, but I filed it in the nerd cave. Two of my major breakthroughs happened at SwimLabs (in highlands ranch...must see Mike). Seeing myself on video from the side rather than front is what did the trick because only then can you see the amount you are dropping an elbow, and whether your hand is under the elbow. I swam with Susan Williams in Highlands Ranch, I swam with Paul, I swam EVERYWHERE! I found people that were willing to care about me getting better and who could see just how hard I worked. I wrote how many yards I had for the week on a huge while board and I wrote my fastest 100,200, etc to keep motivated. So my advise, throw it ALL on the wall, and see what sticks. Do what you despise doing, and learn to love it. Be relentless and diligent. Stay motivated and be willing to wake up wicked early to swim....often.

    Wishing you strength and determination. Also, CV coached Michelle lives east of Cherry Creek SP and swims faster than your goal pace, she would be a good resource until CV arrives. Feel free to email me if you need her deets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle here, fellow nerd....you have the goals, you have a plan. You will swim Faster!!! Anytime you want to swim, let me know. And if CV has a "special" workout I can watch from the deck or swim with you. Just keep swimmin', just keep swimmin'

    ReplyDelete
  7. it would be cool if you could post how your swim times progress during the build up to your goal race. How fast do you think you'd aim to swim TTs at shorter distances? How fast have you been able to swim in the past? Just wondering and trying to get a sense of how far you have to go to achieve that goal

    happy swimming

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Evan-

    CV gave me a few double swim days this week, and 10K over a 24 hour span. Have fun, and embrace the suck :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Laura, part of my plan will be regular benchmarks -- Chuckie seems to favor a 1000m time trial -- and I will post my times. Ride now I'm right around 1:40/100m pace swimming long course meters. That's a few seconds ahead of where I was a year ago, if I recall correctly.

    -Evan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ryan,

    I have been doing almost 4000y a day, but those double swim days are tough. 6000y or so is a lot of swimming for me!

    -Evan

    ReplyDelete