Sunday, August 29, 2010

Ironman Number 5 in the Bag

Quick summary: HOT! As the heat picked up on the bike, my power dropped off. By mile 100 my face was covered with sale. There was so much salt building up around my eyes that I had to pull off chuncks of it. I took in almost all my calories from liquid (and the other 400 or 500 were Gu) and was pounding water. The heat on the bike took its toll, and my pace and power dropped way off throughout the bike.

I started the run considering dropping out. Then I though I don't want to get in that habit. If I got to the point that I couldn't run and still had loads of miles to go, then I'd drop out. Until then, keep going. Plus, it's really hard to tell how I'll feel once I start the run.

...and then ten feet into the run I knew I'd be a tough day. I had no jump in my step. Still, I held 7:00/mile or only a bit slower for the first 7 miles. I gradually slowed to 8:00/mile, and I was a-hurtin'. I walked 5 or 6 aid stations, though I think my pace between stations is faster when I walked than when I run to the stations to the extent that it was pretty even.

Overall, 1:06 swim (okay) + 5:06 bike (no bad considering the heat-induced drop off) + 3:20 run (really good considering the 95 degree temp with very, very few clouds).

2nd in my AG for the third IM in a row (though I suppose there's a chance the results will be updated and I'll drop a spot or two). I just cared about finishing, though, given the conditions. I was told a few times I was 6 minutes back of #1 in my AG, but that was probably on course time not including the time trial swim (incidentally, the dude finished ended up finishing something like 6 minutes ahead of me).

Physically, I'm feeling not too bad. I only lost 5 pounds throughout the race and even peed a few times during the run.

4 comments:

  1. Despite all the heat we had in Denver this summer, Louisville's was fairly extreme. I take responsibility for not having you implement more heat training/preparation, but I honestly thought we were okay in this regard due to our balminess here. The humidity, however, only helped to exacerbate matters.

    For now, recover well.

    -CV

    ReplyDelete
  2. After that race, it's hard to pen a congratulatory sentiment without it sounding like a platitude. Just to finish yesterday was VERY impressive (that goes out to ALL finishers). I have a whole new level of respect for you and Stacey both after the race on Sunday. I'll keep is simple - great race!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Evan! I'm so glad you stuck it out. It was a crazy day and I saw so many DNFs including a few friends. I'm glad you weren't one of them. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger and although this was a character building experience, I guarantee you that it will come in handy at some point in your tri career. Congrats on your 3rd 2nd. It was hard fought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. a 3:20 marathon, impressive!! How's the recovery coming along?

    ReplyDelete