Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Foot pain

I've been fortunate to have never had to take time off of running due to an injury. I'm knocking on wood that that streak continues. My left foot has been troubling me lately. The first sign that something was awry was my heel hurt if set my foot on my coffee table. The weight of my foot and leg was enough to produce pain on the backside of my heel about a half inch or an inch above the bottom of my foot.

A week or so later, I started to feel pain in my heel at the start of each run. The pain goes away once I get going (that or I block it out) and is never excruciating. The tinge of pain occurs when I roll my heel off the ground to transition my weight onto my toes. I even have pain if I press directly onto my heel.


(Pain location...)

Last night I woke up to use the bathroom, and my ankle didn't want to move. I basically limped to the john. I can't figure out what the connection could be between my heel pain and the tightness in my foot at times. Hmm...maybe I'll take a few days off running and see what happens.

The main goal is to avoid any prolonged period sans running. Fitness at this point in the year isn't important, but consistency is.

9 comments:

  1. I have the same exact thing, hurts to put pressure on the back of my heel, some of my shoes are bugging it too. I have a red, bruised area there too so I am going to see the podiatrist tomorrow. I've had a calcaneus stress fracture earlier this year so I am afraid it is something like that again :-( Hope yours heals up with rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would diagnose you with acute Achilles Tendinopathy based on your history and the brief physical exam. Doubt plantar fasciitis. Although I am not an adult practitioner I think I am close on this diagnosis. Rest from running (at least long runs and only run on dirt/soft surfaces for short runs and if symptomatic stop activities that aggravate pain), NSAIDs (ibuprofen) for the next few day, ice. My only other concern would be a stress fracture and if the pain persists I will make him go to an adult doctor! I need him better before we get into our official Ironman training for 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sally, I'd be interested to hear what your podiatrist says. My issue doesn't sound quite as bad as yours, as I need to have my heel against a hard surface or be running to feel pain, and even then the pain isn't too bad. Hopefully your podiatrist can heal your heel.

    Looks like you had a nice race at IMAZ, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the lesson here is that you shouldn't be putting your feet on your coffee table. :)

    Just kidding. Good luck and I hope the pain goes away as quickly as it came.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quick update: just got back fromt he podiatrist. He had 2 possible scenarios 1. A blister that got a bit infected or 2. Bursitis. He thinks it is the blister and put me on ABs and will check in a week. I was so relieved that he thought it was soemthing more superficial. Today I can wear my tennis shoes and it feels much better. Hope you are feeling better too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's a long distance kiss from your mom to make it better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whatever you do, don't amputate just yet.

    It's practically October. Your next race is when? Take some time off running and spend the time in the pool, albeit carefully when pushing off the walls. Ice, elevate, compress the calves, medicate, etc. Start back up gently and watch the area closely.

    -Vnerd

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the comments, all.

    When I re-read my last sentence, I realize I could have been more clear. By "consistency is important" I meant that I don't want to get injured and miss months of running. I didn't mean that I need to avoid any time off. My plan is to take a week off running and see how things feel after that. I will miss my Sunday morning long run this weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree. The more you let the pain linger and stand, the more it will accrue, enough to impact your ability to perform activities of daily living. In my opinion, undergoing therapy will be beneficial, in order to avoid incapacitation or stasis. Take care!

    Agnes Lawson @ MedWell Spine, OsteoArthritis & Neuropathy Center

    ReplyDelete