Thursday, April 2, 2009

Quick update

Starting from Wednesday, after the swim (discussed in my previous post), I did a 1:30 bike including 4 x 15 min at 145-150 bpm. I nailed the first one: 151 bpm. Numeros dos and tres were both 149, which means I was actually riding at ~151-152 because I started from an end of cool-down HR of about 120 bpm. I don't know what happened on number 4, as I had to shift to a harder gear and still couldn't keep my HR up. I ended up averaging 145 bpm for that one. Odd workout, since my PE was much lower than it had been in the past when holding 145-150 bpm. Does this mean I'm getting stronger?

Thursday was a 45 minute jog. I ignored HR and went by feel, keeping it at a moderate effort but throwing in a few repeats of the only nearby hill of any significance. I followed that up with a 1:00 ride in the evening. I kept the HR low, ~120 bpm, for the ride.

Today I did a 2:10 run. For the whole thing, I average 7:30/mile at 142 bpm, but average 7:20/mile at 143 bpm for the non warm-up and cool-down portions. I was tired at the end, but that is the longest IM training run I've ever done (in duration, at least). Like I've said before, how I feel is so much a mental factor - I always notice soreness/tiredness when the end of the run is near. Anyhow, I got in 17.3 miles.

Finally, a note to the cities of Birmingham and Bloomfield Hills: turn on your drinking fountains, please.

1 comment:

  1. Wouldn't their drinking fountains still freeze?! Ignore that late run fatigue...or embrace it. Either way it's part of why we do this stuff.

    ReplyDelete