Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Boulder ride

If I keep up the hard work, my legs are gonna look like this:

(Not that that would be a good thing from an aesthetic perspective.)

It was a perfect day today in Colorado, at least weather-wise. 60 degrees and sunny is a nice combo. Anticipating perfect weather (thanks accuweather.com!), I decided to head up to Boulder for a ride. The plan was to spend a bunch of time at 250-270 W. Unfortunately, my legs weren't quite there.

Interval #1 started when I left Boulder heading north on 36. I was expecting to do 30-40 minutes hard until I hit Lyons and then take it easy through town before starting interval #2. Instead, I made it to Lyons in just 23 minutes (average speed for those 23 minutes = 26.3 mph, a bit faster then I would have guessed). My average power was about 250 W until a few miles before Lyons, when a lot of coasting downhill dropped my average to 240 W and 148 bpm (81 rpm avg). My HR was nice mostly in the low 150s.

Interval #2 started just outside of Lyons as I began climbing through Roosevelt National Forest. 20 minutes, 260 W avg, 157 bpm avg, 77 rpm, 17.4 mph avg up an average gradient of about 3%, most of the climbing done in my aerobars.

Interval #3 was non-existent. Either I didn't give myself enough recovery time after Sunday's tough workout or something else is off with my body, but that second interval took a lot out of me. I cruised back to Boulder for a 2:05 ride.

Since it was such a nice day, I decided to run a bit too. I ran up Sanitas Valley from Mapleton, not realizing that that route is pretty much uphill the whole way. After 10 minutes I turned around and ran back into town and just cruised around for a total run time of 45 minutes.

Oh, my rear derailleur hanger appears bent. I wondered why my shifting wasn't perfect since I recently adjusted my derailleurs, and then I looked down and saw that my lower RD pulley is 1 cm or so further left than the upper pulley. That's the second time in a year my hanger has been ruined! I haven't crashed (well, not on my tri bike), so I don't know what's going on. Luckily the part is only $5 or so to replace, but it's annoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment