Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Track Workout

After a steady 1.5 hour bike ride yesterday, Stacey and I went to a tri club run workout at the local dirt track. The workout plan included eight 800m's (i.e., half a mile) with 400m of easy jogging between. The 100 or so club members present were divided into eight groups based on each member's 5k time from the previous week. I was in the fastest group, which the coach said should hold a 6:24 pace or faster.

6:24/mile works out to about 3:12 per 800m. This is a pace I can hold for quite a while and that works out to maybe an 8 out of 10 perceived exertion rating. As a result I was expecting a solid but not too difficult of a workout.

Well, about a lap into the first 800m I started to think, "Am I out of shape? This pace feels fast." My suspicion that we were moving a bit faster than 3:12/800m was realized when we completed the 800m and the coach yelled, "2:37, nice job!" Hmm...5:14/mile? No wonder I working!

We rattled off 7 more 800m's, slowing gradually to 2:45 or so by the end. Not too shabby. Afterward, it was off to the pool for a quick recovery swim.

The plan for today is a long and hard ride up in Boulder. It's 65 degrees with not a cloud in the sky, so it should be a fantastic ride. I am only slightly afraid of some St. Paddy's Day reveler drunkenly running me over.

After the ride I'll do a masters swim this evening and will probably be a bit shelled. The plan leading up to Cali 70.3 will be to take it easy for a day or two, then do a few solid but not killer workouts before taking it easy again in the few days before the race. No long taper for me.

Finally, what might we have here???


More photos and info coming in my next post.

1 comment:

  1. whatever it is, you can see the Zipp peaking out of the little window, screaming "let me out, let me out...." :)

    nice....looking forward to the final build

    ReplyDelete