Sunday, January 2, 2011

IM Effort Test

In the next few weeks, I need to start upping the training volume (esp. on the bike on weekends) in preparation for IM CdA. As a baseline, today I did a trainer ride including 1 hour at 145 bpm -- right about IM effort for me -- to see what sort of power I'm putting out.

Results in 10 minute intervals:
143 bpm -- 227 W -- 79 rpm
146 bpm -- 225 W -- 77 rpm
146 bpm -- 222 W -- 78 rpm
146 bpm -- 220 W -- 75 rpm
146 bpm -- 217 W -- 76 rpm
145 bpm -- 216 W -- 75 rpm

So, overall 220 W at right about 145 bpm and 77 rpm, with a PE of 6.5/10. My wattage dropped by about 10W over the course of the hour, which is a bit more than I'd like to see at this duration and effort level. Anyhow, I expect these numbers to improve quite a bit once I get back into a more rigorous training regimen.

My Achilles continues to improve. I'm now doing run simulating exercises at physical therapy. My favorite exercise, although it doesn't simulate running, is standing on a balance board and throwing a medicine ball back and forth with my therapist. It's seriously entertaining and would probably make a good drinking game.

Running may be in my immediate future, perhaps as early as Tuesday. Right now I use aqua jogging as a test to see if it produces any pain, and after 20 minutes plodding up and down the pool this afternoon I was fine.

In other news, there's an interesting article about Chrissie Wellington over at the Guardian. The photo in the article reminds me of an ESPN video showing Wellington's freakish body:


Finally, for Lauren, a photo of this evening's dinner, Cobb salad (named after Robert H. Cobb, the salad's creator):

The recipe is from the cookbook you gave Stacey for Xmas.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Evan -

    Sorry for the random post but I saw you're on the Zoot team from 2010 and I've also been following your blog on and off now for some time. We're also in the same AG and I've raced IMLP against you a couple of times and most vividly remember you dropping me on the bike on the 2nd lap in 2009. Just wasn't my day. Anyways, I got picked for the 2011 zoot team and was wondering if I could ask you a couple questions offline via email. Can you shoot me an email at chadholderbaum at yahoo.com? Thx. Chad

    ReplyDelete