Monday, January 17, 2011

Running mostly pain free

I can't remember what info I included in my latest Achilles update, but here's the latest:
- for the next week, I'm to run 20 minutes as 2 minutes running/30 seconds walking every other day;
- the following week, I can run 20 minutes as 3 minutes running/15 seconds walking every other day;
- my PT expects that I'll have no Achilles pain, even when pressure is applied directly to the sensitive part of my heel, within two weeks; and
- I should be back to regular run training within six weeks.

All very good news. I did my second 20 minute run today and I had no pain whatsoever. There was a slight Achilles stretching sensation at the start of the run, but once that dissipated I felt good as normal. Even better, after the run I still had no pain. Running feels odd, and Stacey says I don't look nearly as smooth as I used to, but I'm just happy to be able to move again.

In other training news, I'm starting to gradually build my volume. Between traveling for Christmas and then being sick all last week, my training has been inconsistent at best. This week is off to a good start, however, with almost nine hours of riding, an hour and a half of swimming, and 40 minutes of running over the past three days. My power to HR ratio is still not good (e.g., 230 W during a 6 minute, 150 bpm big gear interval instead of the 250+ W I produce when fit), but I think a month of consistent training will have it back to acceptable ranges.

There are just over 5 months until IM CdA, so I've still got plenty of time to get fit.

3 comments: