Tuesday, May 12, 2009

A long overdue update

Training has been going well. I got in a good swim late last week including 10 x 100m on 1:45, 10 x 75 on 1:20, 10 x 50 on 1:00, and 10 x 25 on 40. The times were about just right - I had to push it, but had 5-10 seconds to recover between every rep, occasionally longer (like on the 25s and the first few 100s).

I got in a pair of good rides over the weekend. One of the most scenic rides I've ever done. 25 miles or so up and down the coast. Many of those miles are above a 100 foot tall bluff or so just off the lake. The road is too narrow for a center line, and only a few cars pass by per hour. The only downside is that it was chilly and the road ain't the smoothest surface. Still, that's just nit-picking, as the ride is so much better than anything available within an hour drive of the mess of sprawl that infects SE Michigan.

Yesterday included another good swim. After a total of forty 25m's, 16 of which were all out, the set included 2100m straight. I accidentally screwed up writing down the workout, and then thought perhaps Chuckie had made an arithmetic error. I wrote down 25m hard, 25m easy, 50m hard, 50m easy, 75m hard, 75m easy, 100m hard, 100m easy, all six times through. However, I recognized that such a set would be far more than 2100m, so I just chopped off the 100m portions. Still, I was pretty beat by the end, and the cutting the easy portions to 25m each might have been too much. Stacey and I jogged around the mansions near Cranbrook post swim.

Today was a gorgeous day weather wise, not so much because the temperature was all that great, but because the sun was out, the sky was cloudless, and the environment is green and flowering. I felt good for both the 30 minute morning run and 2 hour evening run. I got in about 20 miles for the day, with the evening run stats being 135 bpm average at a pace of 7:54/mile.

Now, it's time for a giant salad and some sausage with peppers and onions, courtesy of Stacey (as are about 90% of my meals).

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes those little writing mistakes can be costly (i.e., the forty-five million dollar check you wrote me last month), while other times they're to your benefit. This time it worked in your favor, eh?

    ReplyDelete