Sunday, September 27, 2009

DENVER!



I used to be perplexed when reading some bike workout in a traithlon magazine or training book that includes an hour-long climb. An hour-long climb? I didn't think there was such a thing within a 500 mile radius of where I lived. Hell, a five minute climb was huge by my standards.

No longer. The big announcement referenced in my last blog is that Stacey and I are moving to Denver in mid to late October. That should make for a very welcome change from Detroit suburbs/exurbs, where moving around outside of a car is frowned upon. It will be nice to live somewhere that people understand the appeal of being outside, where people do more on their weekends than get together to drink or golf or drink and golf, where having a BMI under 25 does not make one an outcast (okay, that's a bit harsh), where pictures in Outside magazine seem more like reality than fantasy.

The move should be good for training, but also for improving my quality of life outside of training. I really look forward to doing some hiking, camping, mountain biking, and maybe even skiing. I look forward to 300 days of sunshine per year. In Michigan in the winter it seems like month-long stretches without a sunny day are common. I could go on and on, but I think everyone that reads this understands Stacey and my motivations.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait! Thanksgiving visit complete with some riding is in order! Very excited for you guys and excessively jealous!

    ReplyDelete