Saturday, October 16, 2010

Achilles tendinitis (tendiopathy)

Damn. Two weeks sans running and one week without riding and my foot is doing no better. Looking at common running injuries in view of my symptoms leads me to believe that I've got Achilles tendiopathy. Two things that make a person highly susceptible to Achilles issues are limited ankle flexibility and weak calves. I'm the poster boy for limited ankle flexibility, and based on their size there is no way my calves can be very strong. Also, the heel pain I referenced in a prior post may be right where my Achilles connect to my calcaneus. (Who needs a doctor when I've got books and the internet? I say that only half joking.)

Still, there are two reasons I'm not sure this is an Achilles issue. First up is that the pain in my heel may be a bit below where the Achilles is joined. Second is that I also have dull pain along the top of my foot, though perhaps this could be the result of some other tendon carrying an extra burden to compensate for my malfunctioning Achilles.

My plan for the short term is to ice two or three times a day, start some heel drops (eccentric loading), wear my compression socks to promote blood flow to the Achilles, wear shoes all day (the goal is to raise my heel to take stress of the Achilles), get a massage and/or ART, and give things another week. [FYI: Here's the heel drop protocol.] I'm also going to buy some new cleats for my old trainer cycling shoes and perhaps move the cleats rearward, though I don't plan on riding for the next few days so this is somewhat a moot issue. If I'm not feeling better by next Friday, I'll visit a doctor.



I'm also considering some kinesio-tape and a Strassburg sock, although with so many injury prevention gimmicks on the market it's hard to discern what's actually effective and what's just snake oil. Kinesio-tape would be great if it stabilizes my Achilles enough that I can swim and ride without causing further aggravation.

Another concern I have is figuring out what can I do to stay active. At this point, I'd be fine without running for a month or two if I can still swim and ride. I need some form of physical activity every day! Yet right now even swimming aggravates my Achilles. Maybe I'll do a short swim today and will avoid kicking just to see how it goes.

Taking a bit of a longer outlook, as a former hockey player skate skiing has a strong appeal. If my Achilles issue persists, and if a skate ski boots prevent Achilles movement as I imagine they do, then I'll definitely get some skate skiis so I can get outside this winter. Maybe I will get back to weight lifting and focus on exercises that don't stress my Achilles. This could be an opportunity to focus on strength, flexibility, and all that other boring stuff that many folks say is important to staying injury free.

My biggest fear is that I'm going to be immobilized for months or longer. My second biggest fear is developing chronic Achilles tendiopathy and being constantly injured.

I'm looking forward to my races next summer so much that I'll be extremely disappointed if I can get this issue straightened out in time to be at least moderately fit come summer.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Evan,

    Sorry to hear about all this, and I can certainly sympathize with it. That dark day you speak of where you can exercise everyday - yeah, thats me right now, and its fn miserable - I'm not gonna lie. FWIW, in PT, I am totally seeing the benefits of strength training and flexibility (a lot of my PT at the moment), and it certainly can help with triathlon, or at least prevent injuries. I still have a long way to go, and yes, it can be boring. But it can certainly be hard and make you WORK. There are some exercises that make a 2 hr run seem easier, so stuff like that must be embraced. Whatever you do - get on top of this now, and take the proper steps (no pun) to getting it fixed.

    Onto less serious matters, is that efx company serious? That looks like the biggest gimmick I have ever heard of (as you pointed out). Even worse than compression calf sleeves while racing.

    -Denner

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go to the doctor and go see a PT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Evan
    Gotta go with the Conomac recommendation - you've been off it for a good time - it ain't gonna get better this week. Better to get ao diagonsis sooner rather than later. Sure it's not planter facitis (sp?)

    Love ya and keep moving

    ReplyDelete
  4. Evan,

    I have been a follower of your blog for a while but have never felt the need to post a comment til now.

    I have had identical Achilles issues to your own since the beginning of this year. Tried everything. Strassburg socks, ice, heat, physio, stretching. Nothing seemed to work. Kept me out of run training for close to six months. Drove me nuts. Ran through the pain on many occasions but that ended up making things worse.

    The problem in my case: adhesions in my soleus muscle. Get yourself a high quality self and hit that soleus 2-3 times a day especially. Once you are able to restart running again, roll your soleus PRIOR to every run. Pushing your cleats back is another good idea.

    Another thing. My problems started when i switched to a lower profile running shoe. Now I know that the trend nowadays is to go minimal all the way, but i feel that a little heel support for those of us with tighter calves goes a long way.

    Just my 2c. Hope this helps.
    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That happend to james. He rested it, used kineso tape and after a couple weeks, all was well! Hope it heals soon for you!!

    ReplyDelete