Friday, October 8, 2010

Still Can't Run...

Heel Issue
After a week off from running, I headed out yesterday for a jog. My foot was feeling pretty good, though admittedly not perfect, and a few minutes into the run I knew it was time to head back. I ended up jogging for just 15 minutes. Despite the week off and the very short jog, I still had more pain than last week.

Without running, my "training" has consisted of a hard trainer ride every morning and then a swim some evenings. On weekends I manage one long-ish ride (circa 3:30). Now with the foot pain remaining I'm considering dropping the intensity and/or frequency of my trainer rides, even though my foot feel fine before, during, and after riding.

I've also started taking some Motrin to reduce any inflammation, icing my heel, and wearing a Zoot compression sock to bed at night. This little injury also has me considering scheduling a monthly massage, as perhaps that'd reduce the likelihood of injury in the future.

I'm not concerned with time off of running since my next event isn't for a long time, but I really enjoy running and want to get back to it.

Tomorrow
Kona is tomorrow, as is the University of Michigan v. mid-rate state university football game. My plan is to sync a trainer ride with the IM world champs and put in a 4+ hour effort on the trainer with a fair amount of that at IM effort based on HR. I'll be flipping back and forth between the race and the football game on my computer.

Go Blue!


Next year
Finally, I'm starting to think about my race schedule for next year, and so far I'm definitely doing IM CdA in June and Boulder 70.3 in August. The big news in the world of Ironman is that the 70.3 world champs will be moving from Clearwater, Florida to Las Vegas next year. While I've never been to Vegas and honestly think the town sounds like the worst place on Earth, I'd be tempted to do the race if the bike course is sufficiently challenging that I'd break up drafting. We'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment