Monday, December 28, 2009

The Taco Bell Diet

Funniest commercial ever (sorry, I cannot embed the link):
http://drivethrudiet.com/christinesstory/mediagallery

According to the commercial eating Taco Bell (yes, Taco Bell!) will now help one lose weight, and not just as a result of diarrhea! Also coming soon is a new cooperative ad campaign from Folger's and Marlboro promoting the slimming benefits of copious amounts of coffee and cigarettes. Of course, the Taco Bell commercial's small print tells a more complete story -- Christine cut her caloric intake to just 1250 cal/day. It shouldn't come as any surprise that a quasi anorexic diet produced weight loss.

Anyhow, my $12 blender finally bit the dust and has been replaced by a much, much more robust model:


This new super-duper blender can even grind meat, so I am going to give making my own breakfast sausage a try by grinding pork loins. My ingredient list will look something like this:
10-lbs ground pork
4-tbsp salt
1 3/4-tsp white pepper
3 1/2-tsp ground sage
2 1/2-tsp ground thyme
2 1/2-tsp nutmeg
2 1/2-tsp ground ginger
1/2-tsp red chili peppers flakes
1/2-cup cold water
I cannot imagine how low the quality of meat in store bought breakfast sausage is, so hopefully making my own sausage is an easy, equally inexpensive alternative.

Another use for the blender is creating a more nutritious alternative to ice cream. I bought some chocolate protein powder a while ago because the store didn't have any vanilla powder, which I typically use in smoothies. (On a side note, I'm hesitant to use too much protein powder and am searching for something else that will give my smoothies the same consistency.) Turn out that I really dislike chocolate protein powder mixed with fruit. So, I created a "chocolate milkshake" with one banana, almond milk, coconut oil, ice, and the aforementioned chocolate protein powder. The result is a close enough ice cream substitute to satisfy cravings.

I also created a veggie smoothie recipe today that includes carrots, celery, broccoli (bet you didn't see that one coming!), a cucumber, an apple (the whole thing, seeds and all, because I was too lazy to cut it up), ice, and dashes of almond milk, OJ, and honey. Not horrible, but far from delicious.

So, if anyone has a better veggie-heavy smoothie recipe, I'd appreciate it. A quick search of the world wide web has shown me several recipes, all of which are a bit too fruit based.

1 comment:

  1. give Unflavored Whey a try,I found works better since you can use it with anything since there is no flavor and less extra ingredients.

    I make a similar shake as your choco thats not bad either: 1 banana, 1 T of almond butter, hemp milk (doesnt get ya high..), 1 T of unsweetened cocoa, 15 gr of protein powder, ice, if after a hard workout i add some salt and agave nectar.

    ReplyDelete