Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Another solid week

Last week's totals: 19h25min as 4h45min swimming, 9h15min cycling, 3h55min running, and 1h30min cross training. I've got to swim a bit more than that, but otherwise the week went well. I nailed my long run and long ride.

A few workouts of note:
(1) Masters swimming included twenty 50s (short course yards) on 45 seconds with a 45 second break after every fourth 50. This set was tough but doable. I'm still getting a grasp on short course yard times, so I use a converter to estimate my time in short course meters, which I am more familiar with. I was coming in on about 40 seconds, which the converter says is 45 seconds in SCM. Not bad, but there's still lots and lots of room for improvement.

(2) I completed a 2:30 trainer ride with 40 minutes of big gear work at 145-150 bpm and 20 minutes straight at 155 bpm. I was able to do the big gear work at 260 W, though that occasionally bumped my HR just above 150 bpm. Better yet, I was able to keep my HR at 155 bpm while holding 265 W for the 20 minute effort. Without looking through my blog archives, I think that may be my best output at 155 bpm. Still, I try not to trust any single workout; I'll have to emulate that effort before I consider it my current capability. 155 bpm is right around or slightly above my HIM effort. Holding 265 W for a half would be a nice improvement over last year.

(3) My long run this week was 2:00 with 30 minutes at each of 140 bpm, 145 bpm, and 150 bpm. I was 2 bpm too high for each of the efforts, but that's close enough. My average paces were 8:21, 8:03, and 7:15, for whatever that's worth. I should note that those times are a bit misleading because the entire first half of the run was slightly uphill (about 1%) and the second half was slightly downhill.

Stacey and I did the run at Waterton Canyon, which is about as nice a running spot as it gets. Our route is along a dirt road adjacent to a river. I elected to forgo my iPod and listen to the flowing water. Here are a few pictures snapped while running:


Stacey running so fast that she's a blur:


The highest peak in the background is Goat Mountain, which Stacey and I have twice unsuccessfully attempted to hike up to.


No comments:

Post a Comment