Thursday, February 5, 2009

Compared to last year...

...I am working a lot harder. Last year, I would have had to push myself to the limit to do swim 12 x 50m on 1 minute followed by 12 x 100m on 2 minute, if I could even do that set. Plus, the 2600m swim would have been one of the longer swims I did. This year, that set is nearly a recovery set. After 1:30 on the treadmill, I was able to complete the set with only at moderately hard effort at the most.

The treadmill run, but the way, was somewhat hellish just because I was stuck on the treadmill for 1:30. The temp was around 5 degrees yesterday, so I thought the treadmill sounded more appealing than going outside. Bad decision. Plus, the treadmills at my gym, Lifetime Fitness, have the most ill-conceived preprogrammed modes. If one wants to do a "random" set, for example, the speed varies from 4mph to 10mph, which is from 15:00 per mile to 6:00 per mile. Not only that, but the fast parts of the set are not short in duration. So, if I were to do the random set for 1:30 with my top speed set at 6:00 mile, I would run probably 30 minutes at 15 min/mile and 15 minutes at 6 min/mile, with the remainder of the time in between the two speeds. Rediculous.

Complaints over, I ended up running between 7 and 8.5 miles per hour varying the tilt between 0.5% and 1.5% for an average HR of 144 bpm.

Today, I did 1:15 on the trainer with 1:00 at 144 bpm (missing my goal by 1 bpm). I had to push myself a bit to get my HR up, so it was not an easy ride. I'd say 8/10 for perceived exertion. Fortunately, my gearing matched my PE, as I was pushing a decent gear. Again, I simply did not work this hard last year. I probably didn't do a single ride of a similar duration as this ride with a PE over 6/10.


(The view from the trainer. I think I need to be a bit closer to the TV.)

I'm excited by how much harder I am working, and I am confident my results will improve as a result. Now I'm off to Whole Foods to pick up some rotisserie chicken and cake-like corn bread. My appetite is amazing. I eat like Michael Phelps, but a bit healthier and without the weed. (Rimshot, please.)

On another note, I still don't have my Powertap, but I will call my LBS tomorrow. They are taking forever...

1 comment: