Sunday, February 1, 2009

Two day update

Friday only required an easy 50 minute run. I tried to keep my HR below 130bpm and my cadence above 90, but especially at the beginning of the run it was tough to get my HR that low while keeping my cadence really high. I alternated between listening to 4 minutes of a MP3 metronome set at 90 bpm and songs. The second time I listened to the metronome I was able to get into a better rhythm. My strike is significantly shortened by keeping such a high cadence and low HR. I could feel that I was landing further forward on my feet, almost on my toes at times. I tried to remember the feeling of a fore-foot landing for future runs. I will have to try the metronome without the HR cap and see how that feels.

Saturday included an hour bike, an hour and a half run, and a half hour "flop". The hour ride was a strength ride with a fair amount of low RPM pedaling. My legs felt pretty good and I had no problem hitting the target HRs.

The run began with a fast first half-hour. I took off at half-IM pace or slightly faster, and that pace was tough to maintain as a result of some post-ride Clif Bar (non-salmonella variety) loitering in my stomach and the slick, snoy roads. I didn't set any land-speed records this run. The final hour I just went at my normal long run pace, which puts my HR around 145-150, though I didn't pay much attention to it and haven't uploaded my run data. All-in-all, I got in a bit over 12 miles in on some snowy roads. Not too shabby.

My thighs are sore today, though I'm not sure if that is a result of (1) the standing bike sets, (2) the 30 minutes of hard running, or (3) the aggregate of 1 and 2.

1 comment:

  1. #3 I'd guess. You might as well get used to the quad pounding, by the way...

    ReplyDelete