Sunday, February 22, 2009

Swim week update

Saturday -

Bike: 3 hours on the trainer focusing mainly on big gear riding, but also including some high cadence riding. I hit the HR targets on the dot. A nice, tough workout.

Run: immediately after riding, I headed out the door for an hour run. My legs felt great - barely tired from the 3 hour ride. I counted my cadence a few times throughout the run: 84 rpm right off the bat, then 87 rpm and 87 rpm midway through, and then 84 rpm toward the end. (Since I count for 20 seconds, the resolution of these numbers is 3.) I think my cadence increases while on snow because I can't get as much traction on my push-off. The 84 rpm at the end was the only measurement on a road without snow, so I think this number is the most accurate for "normal" running.

Friday - Double swim day!

In the morning, I was running a bit late and ended up cutting 300m off the workout. I felt a bit tired at the start of the swim as a result of Thursday's 3800m effort. Otherwise, nothing too notable.

In the afternoon, the swim went well. I was surprised how much I had recovered from the morning workout (I was afraid I was going to get in the pool and barely be able to make it up and down the lane). For the last set of 5 x 100m, I did the first 100m in 1:35 and had to consciously slow down a bit for the rest of them.

My shoulders were pretty sore Saturday morning, but I'm not sure how of that was due to swimming and how much was due to sleeping awkwardly on the couch because my parents were in town.

Thursday -

Swim: I miscounted getting my T800 time. However, I tried to press the lap function on my watch every 200m to get some splits (I wanted to see if I'm going out too hard on longer efforts). The last time I got was at 600m - 10:08. I think I picked up my speed for the last 200m, but without an official time I'm not sure. So, I guess my T800 pace to be 1:41 per 100m. I was able to hit that time for the next 24 x 100m.

Run: I did a 1:20 treadmill run including 1 hour at 145 bpm. I threw in some big faux hills, positioning the treadmill at a 6% gradient for probably 15 minutes scattered throughout the 1 hour main set.

No comments:

Post a Comment