Sunday, February 22, 2009

Sadistic swim set

First off, I had a sore throat when I awoke this morning. Stacey also did. At first she attributed the soreness to dry air in our apartment, but now nurse Stacey isn't so sure. The soreness lingered throughout the day for both of us, and I'm sure she'll want to examine my throat at some point today. I went forward with today's workout hoping that her initial dry-air prognosis was correct.

Today's swim was not easy. First, it was the most meters I've ever done in a single swim. Second, it was at the end of the week in which I swam more meters than I've ever swam. Third, the pulling had me tired out by the time I reached the hard efforts at the end of the set.

My pacing to for the 300m sets (goal: 1:45 per 100m) was bad. The first one I went way too slow. The second one I paced the first 100m a bit fast, then the second two a bit slow. The third...I don't recall but I know my pacing wasn't great. 1:40 per 100m is so much easier for me to pace because I just go the fastest speed that I feel I can maintain. So, I'll continue to focus on pacing.

The set also included 6 by 50 of "golf." My best score was 84, with a worst of 93. I noticed that my best scores came when I reached extra far.

The tough stuff at the end included 6 x 50 all out (times in seconds: 41, 42, 44, 44, 42, 42) and 400m all out. That 400m sucked. I was exhausted. My time per 100m: 1:50.

Next up was a long run. Incidentally, this run would have tied the longest run I have ever done in training for an IM before. That makes it two of the longest workouts I've done in a single day! Still, the run went well. It took a few minutes to get the legs moving as a result of the swim, but I just felt better and better as the run went on. Because I was afraid I'm getting sick, I kept the effort level fairly low. Plus, we got 6 more inches of snow, so good traction was infrequent. (On a side note: winter, please end. I've had enough already. Seriously, you've already overstayed your welcome by about two weeks. Stop it.) I ended up doing two hours, but was happy with how I felt at the end. I think the secret manuever workouts are working.

I also tackled a few big hills on the run. On most runs over 1 hour, I'm able to make my way over to a big hill that is slightly longer than and of similar gradient to the hill into town on the marathon in Lake Placid. (By the way: damn that hill in Lake Placid and it's placement at mile 24 or so of the marathon! Next year, though, it's going down.)

The goal is to get a good night's sleep tonight. Hopefully, my throat feels normal in the morning and I'm not getting sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment