Monday, August 24, 2009

I can't believe IMLou is just a few days away

It certainly doesn't feel like I've got another IM approaching. The build-up and anticipation for Lake Placid lasted a year. Now Louisville is just around the corner, and I've got enough other stuff going on that I haven't sat and focused on the race. That's my goal while getting to sleep tonight - spend a few minute visualizing the race. Stacey and I have made a list of things to bring, and she's going to get all my food organized. Thanks, Stacey! I think I'll try to begin packing tomorrow so that I don't have to rush Wednesday or Thursday before heading back to Battle Creek and then on to Louisville.

I've started using a few of Chuckie's secrets for dealing with the potential heat during the race, but amazingly weather.com has the high for Sunday predicted as 71 degrees. Still, I'm going to be mentally (and physically!) prepared for hot weather. I just downed a big glass of V8 for its sodium content, and might have another small glass.

Anyhow, Sunday's ride went well. I started around 190 W for the first hour, and then slowly built up to 220 W and held that until two and a half hours into the ride. After the two and a half hour point, I decided to back off a bit to 190-200 W for the last two hours. I didn't want to spend this week fatigued. I think my approach worked well - it was a solid ride and I can feel the effort today, but I'm not beat by any means (although I wanted to sleep in a bit more this morning).

Today I did an hour swim, getting in just under 3km, though the plan called for 1:20 and 4.2km. Rationale - shoulders still pretty sore from Saturday's swim. Still, a good workout and I worked really hard doing 5 x 100m at the end. I also went for a 20 minute run, nice and easy.

Overall, I'm feeling good and will be ready come Sunday!

1 comment:

  1. I'm excited to be there! Maybe I will bring back the green and yellow tshirt for this race? Good luck Evan - see you Friday! PS- Anything we should plan to bring in the car that we can pick up for you?

    ReplyDelete