Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Recovery; swim breakthrough?; nutrition plan; next year's schedule

A bunch of topics for this post. First up, recovery is continuing to progress, but I can still feel a bit of fatigue. During my ride yesterday, I kept the effort low and felt normal. However, during today's jog/walk, I could feel a scintilla of fatigue in the hip flexors/upper quads. I have to pay close attention to notice it, but it's there.

Next, I watched this video before today's swim:


I really focused on keeping my elbows high during the catch. To my surprise, at times I felt like I was able to grab a whole bunch more water. Now, not every stroke felt like that, but I could occasionally get in a good groove where my catch felt much more forceful. During paddle sets the paddles were really hard to pull through the water...it was as if they were stuck in place. I sought out that feeling. On a side note, I noticed a bit more fatigue in the traps than normal.

Next up, I was considering a nutrition plan for IMLou. In the past, I've gone with Gatorade Endurance + Powerbars on the bike. I was thinking of doing the same for IMLou, but substituting gels for some of the Powerbars. Gatorade Endurance has 150 calories and 600 mg of sodium per 24 oz bottle, while each Powerbar has about 240 cal. and 200 mg sodium and a gel has about 100 cal. and 200 mg sodium. A bottle of Endurance and half a Powerbar or two gels each hour would be plenty of calories. I've never had digestion problems with Gatorade and Powerbars, and I'd be getting quite a bit of sodium with that plan. I'd also carry salt tablets on the run and occasionally pop one down. As I understand it, there can be a great deal of difference in the amount of sodium per pill from brand to brand.

Finally, although it's a long time off, I've got to start planning for next year given the nature of Ironman races. To my surprise, IMLP sold out immediately (historically this would not be surprising at all, but given that IMCdA hadn't sold out I thought the economy was taking its toll on IM participation -- apparently I was wrong). So, since the plan is to do Kona in 2010, I've got to qualify for 2010. Utah isn't an option (sold out), CdA isn't an option (I've got a wedding to attend...my own), IMLP isn't an option (see above), and IMMoo isn't an option (it's a 2011 qualifier). I doubt Florida or Arizona work time wise, and they're surely sold out anyhow. That leaves IMLou for 2010. Once again, I'll (hopefully) be doing two IMs in a short time span. This year should be a good trial run.

Oh, and on the gear front, I'm going to pick up a cheap white Desoto tri jersey and an item called 'arm wings' or something like that for IMLou. The white should help me stay a bit cooler and the wings will prevent sunburn.

Also on the gear front, is there a significant benefit to speed suits such as the Blue Seventy pointzero3 or whatever it's called? I could use it at a few races in the next year...

No comments:

Post a Comment