Sunday, August 2, 2009

Recovering

Recovery is coming along. I got in a few easy rides (HR around 120 bpm) since IMLP. Yesterday I did a 1:15 ride (1:00 intended, but the route went a bit long) and a 20 minute flop in Lake Michigan. Stacey and I were in St. Joseph, MI watching my sister-in-law Teresa compete in Steelhead, her first HIM, aboard Blue Steel, her steel Bianchi road bike. I was on my feet a bit more than I wanted, but was able to rest 'em and get 'em elevated at times, too. I did a bit of informal running, too - basically running down the sidewalk at a slow pace to see Teresa on the bike out after seeing her exit the water, and running around the beach playing with Maggie.

Today I did an hour ride in the morning and another hour ride in the evening, with the drive home from between the rides. After the evening ride I did a bit of stretching, focusing on my hips, as they're the only area where I can still feel any soreness.

I haven't pushed it at all yet, and that's good because with a tiny bit of lingering soreness one week post-race I'm still probably not yet ready. This week's schedule looks pretty easy, and I'm confident that I'll be ready to put in some hard efforts in a week's time.

Also, I've been sitting on $100 or so of Amazon.com gift cards for a while and am looking for some reading recommendations. So far, I'm considering:

(1) Going Long, 2nd edition - I've read the first, so I'm not sure it's worth it to pick up the second. My biggest fault with the first edition is that the various training modes, and in particular base and build, are not well defined. It seems to me like instead of defining specific modes, there should instead be a fluid transition from general aerobic fitness and sport specific strength to event-specific training sessions. Maybe I'll get Swimming Fastest instead.
(2) Breakthrough Triathlon Training: How to Balance Your Busy Life, Avoid Burnout and Achieve Triathlon Peak Performance ... two training books would be all I can take for now. They're best for maintaining motivation and learning new tricks in the off season.
(3) Either The Omnivore's Dilemma or In Defense of Food. Which is the better read? Should I just get both?
(4) Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work - seems like a good read for me, given my current life situation.
(5) All the Pretty Horses. Okay, I've already got this one sitting on my nightstands. I've just got to get to it!

3 comments:

  1. I have "In Defense of Food" and "An Omnivore's Dilemma". When are you going to New Buffalo next? You can borrow (although I haven't read Omnivore yet). "In Defense" is a GREAT book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only comment on the first three.
    1) No need
    2) Good if bought used
    3) Yes to both

    Swimming Fastest is on my "to-buy" list unless I can first find it elsewhere (e.g., my "to borrow from friend and not return" list).

    Keep relaxing and reading.

    -CV

    ReplyDelete
  3. This would be a worthwhile purchase:

    http://www.amazon.com/Yoga-Conditioning-Athletes-Rodney-Deluxe/dp/B0012T1J4O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1249298051&sr=8-1

    It contains a lot of great exercises/stretches for opening your hips and hamstrings. And it has some mini, "sports specific" practices that are about 5-10 minutes long.

    ReplyDelete