Thursday, June 10, 2010

Good and Bad

June 10 -- The Bad
Today's plan called for a swim and, if I could fit it in, I'd also do an hour or so trainer ride with 30 minutes of intervals at 250 W. I wanted to do the ride since I haven't been on the bike in a few days.

The swim looked tough: w/u, a quick golf set, 1000m TT, 10 x 100m all out, and 10 x 50m all out. I got in the water and felt awful. I was off balance and I couldn't pull catch any water. I did the golf sets and my scores were pathetic. E.G.: 49 seconds for a 50m, plus 22 strokes on the way down and 24 on the way back! I'm pretty sure that's an all-time worst for me! I bailed on the planned workout because my motivation to push myself for the 1000TT was gone. I was very discouraged. My stroke felt all messed up and I didn't think my effort would be representative of my ability. Instead, I did a bunch of 200s focusing on body position on odds and catch/pull on evens. Even going easy I felt bad. I realized that to make the stroke corrections that I need to make I need to be in the pool almost every day.

A quick backstory: I'm switching pools because DU is closing for two months starting in July. I'm going to be very busy for the next four weeks, so switching to a closer pool would also be nice. I checked out one nearby place that has an indoor and outdoor pool, but the indoor pool is only 20m. Also, that club's price structure strongly discourages month-by-month memberships, so I'd have to join for a year and spend my winter in a hotel sized pool.

Being not thrilled at the idea of swimming in the 20m pool all winter, I did today's swim in another pool that I was considering joining. However, after today's horrible and realization that swimming frequency is going to be important for me, I'm joining the nearby gym tomorrow and I'll suffer the winter in the tiny pool.

By the time I got home it was 9pm and I didn't do the ride either. Bad training days happen, and I'll just come back tomorrow and get the work done.

June 9 -- The Good
Starting with the good, on Wed. I did a 2 hour run. If I felt good, I was allowed to do some alactic sprints (4 x 8 seconds all out with plenty of recovery between) and some time at 155 bpm. I spent the first hour building to 150 bpm, and I felt great so I did the sprints. I also threw in 3 x 12 jump-ups, and then cranked out 45 minutes at 155-160 bpm before a cool-down. Even I the end I was feeling good.

June 8
4100y swim. Not too bad.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Evan, once again enjoy your blog. I get some coaching from Gordo up in Boulder and found you linked up with CV's blog. Couple of swim suggestions if you are close to Wash Park is Wash Park Rec, La Familia Rec for indoor. Congress Park is a great LC option outdoor. I am beginning to swim M,T and Th mornings from 6-7:30 with a group if you are interested.
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jeff, thanks for the input. I just joined Cherry Creek Athletic Club because I live really close to it. Their outdoor pool is pretty decent. I have a hard time fitting swimming at the Rec Centers into my schedule, although they're a great deal.

    ReplyDelete