Monday, June 7, 2010

Tough, moderately long ride

First up, any suggestions for breakfast that can easily be eaten in a car? I'm thinking maybe granola (Whole Foods' best kind, or homemade when Stacey has the time to make it for me...she makes the best granola!) in whole-fat plain yogurt. I want a fair number of calories to hold me over for 5 hours or so, and convenience may outweigh nutritiousness for the next few weeks.

June 6
(1) 4:40 ride. Out of Boulder on Hwy 36, left on Lefthand Canyon up to Ward (17 miles or so of climbing), back down to Hwy 36, another 17 miles of climbing back to Ward, and back to Boulder via Lee Hill. The temperature was pretty warm, 85-89 degrees on my CPU. In graphic form:

I road the climbs at IM intensity based on perceived exertion. The first time up I didn't look at HR or power. My legs weren't feeling great following the prior day's two hour track run, but I made it up at an average of 225 W. HR didn't record properly the first time up, and cadence averaged 80 rpm. Climbing in the aero position uses slightly different muscles, and that resulted in a bit of abnormal muscular fatigue.

The second time up was a bit tougher and felt more like the end of an IM ride where I just hang on and keep riding. I wasn't hurting bad, but I wasn't fresh. It was nice to have someone about my speed to ride with. I stopped to grab some bananas from Chuckie, and Angela went on by. For once I had a rabbit to chase, which is nice when tiredness is setting in. I lost a few watts on the second climb, averaging 221 W. Cadence was 79 rpm and HR averaged 153 bpm.

(2) 30 minute transition jog. HR was high relative to pace, and perhaps I was dehydrated. Staying hydrating will prove challenging in Colorado's warm and sunny weather. I may need to add a third cage to my bike.

June 7
(1) One hour run, all easy and all by feel. I felt weak at the start and great by the end.

1 comment:

  1. Ensure, but its expensive.

    very convenient, however. 250 cals per bottle, so 2 of those and a power bar, you pack in 750 calories. Again, an expensive breakfast to repeat, but quick and easy.

    loaded with all sorts of preservatives so you can stash in your car all season long!! :)

    nice training, looking forward to watching your season unfold.

    ReplyDelete