Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Workouts w/ power

First up, I got a nice letter in the mail yesterday:


Apparently I won the 20-29 age group at the Colfax Half Marathon a few weeks back, and I didn't even realize it. When I opened the package, I thought, "Great, another little plaque." (Note the sarcasm.) Packaged with the plaque, however, was a piece of paper. The paper said I won a free pair of Native sunglasses, a $150 value, for my effort. Awesome. Native, I discovered, is a Denver-based company, so that's cool. I ordered up a pair of these:

So, thank you Native Eyewear for supporting local races and providing nice prizes.

June 12 continued
Okay, on with the show. I left off last post with a duathlon race report. After the race I got in a 3.5 hour ride in a nice drizzle. I rode by feel but went easy. Since my goals were (1) time in the saddle and (2) promote recovery (or not get more rundown from the race), I made sure to dress in warm clothes. Stressing my body more with exposure to the cold, wet weather wouldn't have been smart.

June 13
First up was a 2:00 trainer ride with 1:45 of it at 140 bpm and 80ish rpm. My stats were very impressive, for me anyhow. CV has noticed a similar phenomenon in the past, where a workout the day after a really hard effort can start off extremely well. Here's the stats:
1- 243 W, 137 bpm, 83 rpm
2- 234 W, 140 bpm, 82 rpm
3- 229 W, 141 bpm, 80 rpm
4- 227 W, 141 bpm, 79 rpm
5- 223 W, 141 bpm, 78 rpm
6- 224 W, 141 bpm, 78 rpm
7- 221 W, 142 bpm, 76 rpm

Now if I can just hold 243 W at 137 bpm for 112 miles, and I'll cut 30 mintues off my IM time. While the stats are good, I need to repeat them (over and over, really) before I can consider them to be indicative of my ability.

Afterwards I did a super secret workout that I am not allowed to share, and then an easy swim. A solid day, all in all.

June 14
(1) 45 minute swim
Up at 5:38 AM, out the door at 5:55 AM, in the pool by 6:10 AM, out of the pool at 6:55 AM, out the gym door to work at 7:15 AM, at work by 7:45 AM. That's going to be very normal for me for the next several weeks. I love the early morning swim, though, as it allows me to do just an hour or 1.5 hrs in the evening and still get in a pretty solid day.

Plus, I am now swimming outside. Starting the day off with a bit of time in the sun (well, the sun is barely up, but still...) is always nice.


(2) 40 minute run planned, but I ran 1:00 because the This American Life podcast I was listening to was still going. All by feel, moderately-easy, but not too easy.

June 15
(1) Another morning swim. 45 minute, once more.

(2) 1:00 trainer ride w/ intervals. Again, my stats were pretty good. I've got two 8 minute efforts highlighted in the photo:

The first was at an average HR of 137 bpm (max 142 bpm) and 241 W at 67 RPM. My perceived exertion was low, about 6 out of 10, for the first half of the ride.

For the second half my stats got a bit worse, but were still solid. The 8 minute effort, for comparison's sake, now had an avg HR of 141 bpm (max of 149, but it was mostly in the 142-43 range) for 239 W. Perceived exertion was up to 7.5 out of 10.

I'm really happy with these stats, and I hope my power meter is still accurate! I'm calibrating my SRM with the zero function, but I should do the weight hanging again soon just to make sure it's correct.

1 comment: