Saturday, March 7, 2009

Double swim day

4000m in the morning including 3000m straight as 6 x (25 hard/25 easy, 50 hard/50 easy, 75 hard/75 easy, and 100 hard/100 easy). My time for the 3000m was 53:30, or 1:47/100m. I'm pretty happy with that considering I went easy for half the set.

In the evening I did another 1800m, including ten x 125m working hard and doing the last 25 as either back or breast stroke. I felt good during the evening swim - not too much soreness from the morning's swim. I also notice that when I'm feeling strong, I do a much better job of keeping my right elbow high. I think because I breath more often to my left side, I have a tendency to drop my right elbow. Whenever I feel a better than average catch, I try to ingrain that feeling in my mind so hopefully it will become a habit.

The only other thing is my left calve is very tight right from Thursday's long run. I can feel a ligament or tendon (Achilles?) get caught on something when my calf flexes, and then be released when further stretched. I tried a few calve stretches, but most stretch too high up my leg. After a google search, I found this stretch:

http://www.coopersguns.com/videos/stretches/stretches-for-lower-limbs/calf-stretch-standing/

So, I scheduled an appointment with my doctor to be sure I'm fit enough to lean slightly forward, and I'll wait the three weeks until my appointment before trying the stretch. "Doctor," I'll ask, "am I medically capable of leaning slightly forward?"

Anyhow, I will try the PT massage roller thing, too.

1 comment: