Wednesday, March 18, 2009

New swim PR!

Yesterday I ended up doing a 1:30 run at a moderate pace (140 bpm average HR). My calve was bothering me a bit at the beginning, just when I quit being so vigilant about massaging it. So I'm back to working on the calve with the TP massage kit. I didn't end up getting in the swim I was hoping to, but oh well.

Today I did 25 minutes of secret exercise, following by a 3200m or so swim. Stacey had a session with Melissa tonight, so I dropped in. It's been a while since my last session with Melissa, so I got more coaching than normal. I've got to get my shoulders a little lower in the water and enter further toward 11 and 1 o'clock (I'm entering way too narrow right now). Those things shouldn't be too hard to correct. We started out with a 1,000m warm up of alternating 200m's with and without paddles. Next up was 4 x 300m broken. Each 300m including 50m getting progressively faster and transitioning into 100m hard, then 5-10 sec. rest before 100m hard transitioning into 50m recovery. My times for the first and second 100m were 1:30 and 1:33. I followed that up with 1:27 (a new PR!) and 1:29. I don't recall my times for the third set, but I think they were 1:28 and 1:30 or something like that. Finally, for the fourth set I did 1:30 and 1:25 (another new PR!), though I had a pretty long break between those two efforts.

We followed that up with drills for a while to work on the wider entry. We also worked on some sort of sculling catch that I did not come close to getting right.

Anyhow, it's nice to see the swim times come down. A 1:25 100m is a huge step forward for me, and I think I could probably hit 1:23 or 1:24 had a pushed a bit hard on the last 25.

No comments:

Post a Comment