Thursday, March 5, 2009

Still going strong

Tuesday including 4,000m of swimming with a hole lot of pulling. I felt stronger than normal during the pulling and was able to keep my effort level high the whole swim without muscle tiredness slowing me down. Hopefully that means I'm getting stronger. I followed the swim up with 1:30 of fairly easy biking.

Wednesday including a tough 1:30 ride including 5 x 12 min consisting of 6 min. at 145 bpm and 60 rpm in the aero position, 4 min. at 150 bpm and 60 rpm standing, and 2 min. at 145 bpm and 100 or so rpm seated. I missed the target HR big time on the first set (in the future, I'll have to make sure I end the warm-up with a HR close to the goal HR for the next set). After the first set, I hit the target heart rate for each of the 6 min. efforts and most of the 2 min. efforts. The 4 minutes of standing, however, are difficult for me. I can get my HR above 150 bpm, but it requires raising my cadence to maybe 65-70 rpm while standing in my 53 x 12. My form while standing makes cadences above about 60 rpm tough. I ended up average 148 bpm for each of the last four standing sets. After the first set, though, the ride wasn't too bad once I got past the first 12 min. set.

I followed the ride up with a 30 min flop focusing on stretching out without doing much freestyle. When I got home after the swim, I realized how sore my quads were from the ride. Good, I though, just means I will be stronger when I recover.

Thursday, today, I did a fun 2:00 run. I say fun because, for the first time since perhaps October, it was warm out. Well, warm relative to the temperature for the past two months, anyhow. I think running without being cold gave me a bit of energy, and I had to hold myself back from pushing the pace lest I exceed my 160 bpm cap. (Interestly, I don't know if this is a result of being much less fatigued than my Monday run, but me PE at 160 bpm today was much, much lower than on Monday.) Anyhow, I went by feel, but ran slightly below moderately hard. I didn't check my stats during the run, other than to ensure I wasn't exceeding my HR cap, but I average 7:17 at 150 bpm. More importantly, I now have proof that I am the fastest person alive:

1 comment:

  1. Holy blazing blitzers. 98.8mph? Man, this coach of yours is really something! London 2012, here we come. Udo Bolt can eat your rubber. ("Dust" doesn't apply on all-weather tracks.)

    ReplyDelete