Tuesday, March 10, 2009

"Off" day update

So it's my second consecutive "rest" day, and I'll just do 15 minutes of swimming today. First, though, I've got to stop by the local Trek store to pick up some Bontrager Race X Lite Pro tires that I selected based on their low rolling resistance. The plan is to try them out during training to make sure they've got adequate puncture resistance, and if not it's back to the Michelin Pro 3 Races, or maybe something else. With my wide Hed C2 wheels, I can get optimal aerodynamics with a range of tire widths. Tires appear to be a much, much cheaper way of buying speed than faster wheels or a new frame (not that I wouldn't mind those, but that ain't happening soon). Oh, and still no PowerTap computer. The bike shop is looking into again, or so I have been assured.

The calf is doing better, but not 100% yet. I'll do another home massage with the PT kit tonight, as I wasn't able to get a massage appointment today or tomorrow. I did, however, locate a massage place that appears capable of meeting an athletes needs - the two proprietors, one male and one female, have a combined marathon PR of under 5:00. That's fast. They're also the PT/massage team for Hanson's running team, which is headquartered about 20 minutes from my place. Best of all, the price is right: $30 less per hour ($40 less with a $10 off coupon!) than my gym, Lifetime Fitness.

Oh, and I might be going to Boston (or maybe San Fransisco) tomorrow for work. I will get in a run in the morning, but my Thursday workout might be tough to squeeze in if I do go.

Finally, two good links for the day. First up is a classic story from the Onion, Underfunded Schools Forced To Cut Past Tense From Language Programs. The last sentence is just perfect. Next up is Esquire's 75 Albums Every Man Should Own. By nature, lists of this type are usually predictable. Esquire's has more variety than most lists, to its credit. I mean Cody Chesttnut? I thought I was the only one that liked "I Look Good in Leather." Still, I think the compiler was a bit too contrarian. The selected Radiohead album is The Bends instead of the more groundbreaking OK Computer, Pavement's Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain was picked over the superior Slanted and Enchanted, Hendrix's live mess Band of Gypsies was amazingly included in place of any of Hendrix's three real albums (I'm not sure which I'd pick), The Clash's Combat Rock got the nod over critics' typical choice by The Clash, London Calling. Oh, and I almost missed Wilco's Being There being selected over their opus Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. The list has some other shortcomings. Not every man needs to own Marvin Gaye's What's Goin' On - I can attest to that as someone that does own the album. And, while I'm glad a Drive-By Truckers album got picked (they're currently one of my favorite bands, and they've got the best song title of all time: "Too Much Sex, Too Little Jesus"), it definitely, definitely should have been Decoration Day, not the average Brighter Than Creation's Dark. At least Jorma Kaukonen didn't make the list...

Post Script: And just because, here's my current favorite song (soon to change, I'm sure): Skinny Love by Bon Iver with the typical rock band line up of one acoutic guitarist and three drummers.

No comments:

Post a Comment