Saturday, June 13, 2009

Tough swim

Yesterday included a tough swim - 38 x 100m on 2:00, half of them pulling. The goal pace for pulling was 1:30, while the goal pace while not pulling was 1:33-35. I started pulling at 1:34. I was a bit disappointed to be missing the goal time by so much, but I would have had to work really hard to hit it, and didn't think I could maintain that effort throughout the set. To my surprise, when I started the first non-pulling set, my time was pretty much the same - 1:34 or so. After about twenty 100m's, I started to fade a bit. My time dropped to 1:40 by the 2/3 of the way through the set. Finally, at the end I dropped to 1:45.

I felt tired from swimming, but also felt likes I had a lack of energy. Looking at my diet, I would be surprised if it was due to a lack of carbs. I had a Larabar about 45 minutes before swimming, and that provides over 20g of carbs. I also always eat a lot of fruit, so a lack of carbs would be surprised. Nonetheless, I'm going to cut my times for which I drink sports drink. For everything over 1 hour I will have some sports drink, just to make sure the quality of my workouts doesn't suffer.

Morning weigh-in: Thursday - 160.5, Friday - 160.0, Saturday 158.0. I'd be surprised if my weight doesn't go back up, as a 2 pound drop is odd. Still, I've had to take my belt in a notch, though I was always midway between belt holes and opted for the larger size.

Now I'm off to Northville to ride to Whitmore Lake, then Dexter, then maybe Chelsea or maybe toward Jackson, and then back. It's not looking pretty out, but accuweather says no rain until 1pm. I'm bringing a newly obtained rain jacket (thanks Stacey!) just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment