Saturday, July 11, 2009

New swim PR, slow run

Today's swim workout started with a T600, which I completed in 9:41, about 25 seconds better than my previous best, if I recall my PR correctly. A few things about my stroke were different. First, I watched a few youtube.com videos before heading out for the swim. In the pool, I extended a bit more and felt some stretch in my torso. I also noticed water flowing more smoothly over my skin. I sought that smooth sensation, and I tried to get into a smooth rhythm (which isn't the easiest for me - I'm not the most smooth or rhythmic person). I started the T600 slowly, and my splits were dead-on: 4:50 for the first 300m and 4:51 for the second 300m.

I followed that up with 6 x 100m on just 5 sec. rest, five of 'em under 1:36, and the sixth on 1:38. Next up with a T400, and my time was 6:35. I lost some time on the back-half, going 3:15 and then 3:20. After 4 more 100m's, I did a T200 on 3:00. I really thought I was moving faster and would set a new PR (I think 2:57 is my best 200m), as I felt very smooth in the water. Oh well, there's always next time.

After the swim, I headed out for a 1:45 run. The main "set" was 1:20 at 150 bpm, expecting a speed of 6:30 to 6:45/mile. However, it was pretty hot and humid out, and my pace suffered at the prescribed HR. I averaged a pathetic 7:40 at 152 bpm. It could have been the heat, but also the enormous amount of stress I'm feeling for reasons unrelated to training. Let's just say life has been better... I also wonder if the stress is hindering my recovery, which seems a bit slow this week. On a positive note, muscularly I was fine during the run - I felt pretty much fine at the end.

I will consider putting some intervals into the ride tomorrow, but don't want to over-stress myself at this stage. I'll play it by ear.

1 comment:

  1. Treat the outside stress as a training stress Evan, because it affects you all the same. Nice work on the 600!

    ReplyDelete