Monday, July 5, 2010

Another long ride

July 4
(1) 4 hour ride. Stacey and I rode from Boulder to Carter Lake and back. Total ride time was 4:10 or thereabout. During the middle 3:45 that wasn't a warm up or cool down, I averaged 21.0 mph at 126 bpm. My average power, zeros including, was only 190 W. The ride wasn't entirely flat, either, with over 3500 feet of climbing according to my Garmin.

As the graph below shows, however, I spent a fair amount of time around 215 W. My legs were still quite fatigued from yesterday, and this was most noticeable on climbs. When going uphill I had a hard time getting my power up, which is the opposite of normal but probably the result of my climbing muscles being exhausted.

Again, the time on the x-axis in the graphs is wrong. Garmin should update their software...




(2) 2.5 mile run. The plan was to run 1 hour immediately after my ride with the first 40 minutes at 6:30 or so per mile. I started out feeling great and was running 6:15/mile when on flat terrain at 157 bpm. However, I forgot socks and was running in a pair of shoes I haven't used sockless before. The shoe quickly tore through the skin on my heel and I called the run a day. Too bad, as I was feeling great (other than the feeling of sandpaper against my flesh, of course).

(3) 30 minute recovery swim. Well, make that 25 minutes of swimming and 5 minutes of aqua-jogging.

Now I'm off for another 5 hour ride. I'm thinking Boulder to Lyons to Raymond to Brainard Lake to Ward over Lee Hill back to Boulder. Stacey will dictate our ride time, as I turn around for her every few miles, and I have no idea how long this one will take her. The climb into Brainard Lake is tough after all the climbing that precedes it.

No comments:

Post a Comment