Sunday, July 18, 2010

Big Week - Days 2-5

July 17
(1) 6 hour ride - I rode my road bike, so I didn't capture power data. I spent a lot of time at ~130 bpm, which for me feels like a good balance between working and being able to ride all day. Oh, and the high temp during the ride according to my Garmin was 111.8 degrees. That's one hundred and eleven and eight tenths degrees. When I looked down and air blew over my sunglasses and across my eyes, it felt like someone was blow drying my face. It was 100 degrees or over for about four hours of the ride. At one point some clouds moved in, and I could see a rain storm nearby. The temperature dropped 20 degrees in 15 minutes. 92 degrees has never felt so cool. Once the storm passed, however, the temp went right back up over 100 degrees. I drank about two 24 oz bottles of water per hour, though I was a bit worried about sodium intake because other than a few GUs, most of my calories were from "real" foods like Fig Newtons, nut bars, and other things without much salt. Still, I felt very good at the end of the ride.

I did one climb -- Lookout Mountain -- and spent about 30 mintues at 150 bpm during the climb.


(About 5 miles are missing during a portion of the ride where I left my computer off accidentally.)

(2) 20 minute jog. My legs were tired, but had enough energy that I could have run strong. However, I ate a ton of food after my ride and my stomach was too stuffed to get the HR up. Still, mission accomplished with just 20 minutes of running.

(3) Extra credit: 20 minute flop. I didn't swim the prior day, and I didn't want to go two days without getting in the water.

July 16
Just one workout today: a 7 hour ride with a 2 hour climb and then another 2 hours at circa 8000 ft. My route was Denver --> Golden --> up Golden Gate Canyon to Peak to Peak --> Rollinsville --> Nederland --> Ward --> Boulder --> an hour and a half cruising around outside of Boulder. Piece of cake...

Actually, this was one hard ride. I had a viscous headwind the entire climb from Golden to Peak to Peak. Keeping my HR down for this stretch was tough. Then, once I got to Peak to Peak there's still a fair amount of climbing to be done. Still, this is an awesome ride. Peak to Peak is one of the best routes for riding, perhaps only second behind the climb out of Lyons to Raymond.



Giant thanks to Stacey for coming to pick me up in Boulder to make my ride possible!

Jul 15
(1) 1:15 swim -- 4000+ m. 5 x 500m descending and then some strength work.

(2) 1 hour run. I felt horrible during my 10 minute warm-up, but decided to attempt the main set of 40 minutes at 150-155 bpm anyhow. After a minute and a half, I stopped to walk. During the walk I regrouped for a minute or two, then decided to give the main set another go. This time I felt much better, and sub 7 minute miles felt like a fast shuffle. I ended up averaged 6:49/mile at 155 bpm.

July 14
(1) 4:30 ride in Boulder w/ Chuckie, Angela, and Michelle. Boulder --> Ward --> Allenspark --> Lyons --> Hygiene --> Boulder. Looking at the data for my climb on Lefthand Canyon, I averaged 228 W at 145 bpm for one hour and ten minutes (I started the timer at Old Stage Coach and stopped it at the waterin' hole just before Ward). That's right around IM effort, I'd wager.

(2) 30 minute jog.

(3) 20 minute "flop" at the pool.

No comments:

Post a Comment