Friday, July 9, 2010

Double Ride Day

July 8
Two, one hour long trainer rides, both with some intervals around FTP level. PE was 7.5 out of 10 for each ride. The morning ride was probably a bit tougher, and my legs had a dead feeling for a few hours afterward.
(1)

(2)
For this second ride I bumped up the wattages by 5-10 W for each interval because my HR was staying low.

When looking at both rides I think the max HR (when accurate) is the best indicator of effort. My average HRs are too influenced by my low HR heading into each effort. Regardless, still some solid power/HR data for me.

July 7
(1) 1:15 spin on the trainer. I rode by feel, which ended up being not too hard. My HR was typically in the 110-115 range, and I averaged a bit over 160 W.

(2) Swim. I did a trial with the masters group at my new pool and got some useful tips. There workout was already well under way by the time I was invited in, so I only got 25 minutes or so of swimming with the group.

(i) My ankle flexibility is so limited that my feet are at a nearly 90 degree angle to my legs. The instructor recommended some fins that attack to one's feet with a strap behind the heel instead of the stiff rubber heel cup found on Zoomers. Also, I should do some foot flexibility focused stretches.

(ii) My head position is a bit too low, the instructor said, to the point where my head doesn't break water for my shoulders and instead just presents additional frontal area.

(iii) When I begin to tire I have a tendency to cross over a bit.

(iv) My right arm doesn't follow through. My opinion is that this is because I tend to pull with my elbow behind my hand, which allows my whole arm to slip through the water without much resistance. I'm working on this, though. I think my feel for the water is improving because I'm aware of this issue. It's still hit or miss whether or not I actually pull water with each stroke, but I try to keep the feeling of a successful stroke in mind so that I can execute a successful stroke with increasing frequency.

I will have Stacey shoot some video during our swim this evening. Taping myself is valuable, and I haven't done it in a while.

July 6
(1) 1:00 swim in the morning. I wasn't able to fit in CV's full workout -- I only made it 2700m out of 3900m! During the day I was a bit exhausted from the weekend's ride, so I expect that my fatigue was holding me back a bit in the pool, too.

(2) 1:00 run. Nice an easy -- 125 bpm. I included five 10 second sprints and 2 x 12 jump-ups. My legs were dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment