Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Big Week - Day 1

Additional Boulder Peak Comments
One thing I forgot to mention is how great the race organizers handled the pro race. Instead of having pros start early so that they're never seen by the target audience -- i.e., other racers -- at Boulder Peak the pros started so most AGers were done by the time the pros started their run. Then, the organizers altered the pro run so that they did 3 spectator friendly loops. This was a great way to make the pro race add value for AG racers, as the format allowed viewers to actually watch the pros' run unfold. More races should adopt this type of format.

July 13
The goal for the next 6 days is almost 30 hours of training. I started today with an hour swim, a three hour ride, and a half hour run. The swim included twelve broken 250s. I performed better on the first six than the last six even though the last six were with paddles. I was about 5 second slower per 100 with paddles than without!

The ride went alright. I still have some fatigue from the Boulder Peak this past weekend. The ride was all up and down and always turning. Take a look at a Google Earth image of the ride and compare it with the elevation profile shown in green in the data image. Also, you can see in the data that I spent a fair amount of time at about 225 W, mostly when climbing. Maintaining power on the downhills was tough. Had there been flats, I think my fatigue would have prevented me from putting out IM levels of power. Oh, and it was also 99 degrees at times today...



Finally, in the evening I ran a half hour with Stacey. Nice and easy.

July 12
A recovery day. One hour of easy swimming in the morning and a 1:45 spin around Denver with my cousin Gavin in the evening. I got dropped whenever we hit a hill.

1 comment:

  1. Gavin devours hills like you devour pizza. Don't feel bad, his legs are twice the size of yours!

    ReplyDelete