Sunday, January 11, 2009

Bike, Swim, Run

My blog entry titles are going to get repetitive. Anyhow, the bike plan called for a main set of 10 min @ 130 bpm, followed by 10 min @ 135 bpm, then 10 min @ 140 bpm, then 10 min @ 145 bpm, then 10 min @ 150 bpm, and 10 min @ 155 bpm. I was a little worried that this was going to be a tough effort, especially since I was using my tri-bike for the first time since September. My worries were confirmed pretty much from the start of the ride, as it felt like work from the beginning. I mentioned this to Stacey, and she said, "Just wait 20 or 30 minutes and you'll be fine." Fortunately, she was correct, and even the 150 bpm and 155 bpm portions weren't too tough.

I also took note of my cadence, estimated RPMs by counting my cadence for 20 or 30 second once per set after stabilizing my HR at the desired level. Here's the stats:
131 - 90 rpm
136 - 90 rpm
142 - 90 rpm
145 - 87 rpm
152 - 83 rpm
157 - 80 rpm

After a snack and work break, it was off to the pool. The workout included three main sets between a warm-up and cool-down. First, I did ten 100's at 95% effort on 15 seconds rest. I started at 1:32 for the first hundred and slipped to 1:39 by the last. Second, I did ten 75's at 80% effort on 10 second rest. My times ranged from 1:11 to 1:15, as I slowed slightly during the set once again. Finally, five 50's all out on 1:15. My times were 38.5 sec., 41 sec., 42.5 sec, 43 sec., and 42.5 sec. Overall, I felt good the whole time and, dare I say it, ever like I had a powerful stroke at times. My back stroke, however, needs some serious work. Oh, and I threw in some bi-lateral breathing when possible (mainly during the pulling set), and otherwise did the occasional right side breathing every two strokes even though I'd normally breath to my left.

My swim training these past two months has been much, much harder than what I did in the lead-up to the past two IMs I've done. I used to just do a few sets at moderate pace and a few drills until I reached 2000 or so yards.

Finally, I did a 45 minute run at a slow pace. I don't know my HR, as my strap slipping to down around my waist 5 minutes into the run, but I'd wager 140 bpm average. My legs felt very good, and the run was pleasantly easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment