Saturday, January 24, 2009

Two day update, plus refined bike position video

Yesterday's workout included an hour of swimming with a one minute break in the middle. Following Wednesday's and Thurdsay's swims, my back was pretty spent. I didn't go fast, but I made it through the swim. I threw in a few lengths of back stroke (probably totally 75m) to mix it up, but otherwise straight freestyle.

Yesterday also included a 1:15 run with 1:00 at 150bpm. The temperature was a relatively balmy 25 degrees, which was actually warm compared to the preceding week of single-digit temps. There were even patches of the run when I could run on pavement instead of snow, and it felt nice to go a little faster. I average 7:12/mile @ 150 bpm. I actually felt like I had to push the pace a bit to keep my HR up, and had to really run when on even a slight downhill.

Today was a 4:00 ride on the trainer - my longest continuous trainer ride ever. I changed my position Friday and was very comfortable for the ride. I spent a majority of the time in the aero position. I average 136 bpm and was pushing a decent gear (for me, anyhow). Nothing much else to report about the ride, though I sure started to get sick of Clif Bars and Gatorade by the end. So, without further ado, the updated position:



During the side video, I intentionally shuffled between a two positions: (1) a somewhat upright position for use while moving slower or as a short adjustment if I become uncomfortable and (2) a lower position for use when moving fast (on flats or downhills, for example). I changed to bars with a bit more height, so I may lower them a bit (half a cm or so) and see how that feels. I also narrowed the bars a bit. Overall, I was very comfortable and felt plenty powerful. I'll post another video when I next lower the bar position, and I'll also include a frontal shot.

Now its off to the gym for a "flop" swim. After that, I'll probably have Stacey jump on my back while I do the stair stepper in preparation for the Wife Carrying World Championship.

1 comment:

  1. Man, with a chest cavity like that it's no wonder you're one hell of an athlete.

    If being with Stacey wasn't enough of a reason to get married (and I'm not implying anything here!) then the Wife Carrying World's certainly has to be.

    ReplyDelete