Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Morning run, evening swim

First off, I've got to wake up earlier to get in a morning workout if I go to the gym. It was between 0 and 5 degrees here this morning, so (for almost the first time ever) the treadmill sounded more appealing than running outside. I might have made the wrong decision, as I sustained two treadmill related injuries. The first injuries was a result of inadvertently and repeatedly swinging my right hand into the stupid hand-held heart rate monitor that spans the two lateral support rails of the treadmill. As a result, I got a minor bloody knuckle. On a positive note, stitches are not likely required. The second injury - and this is the first time I have sustained such an injury despite hundreds of hours running in the past few years, all but about 5 of them outside - involved a serious case of nipple chaffing. What is unique about running on the treadmill causes nipple chaffing? The lack of airflow to remove perspiration from my shirt? The cold temperature in the gym? I honestly have no idea, but I'm throwing some BodyGlide in my gym bag for the next workout.

Anyhow, it took a bit longer to warm up, but then again it was early in the morning. I ended up averaging about 7.5 mph with an average HR of 142 at a 1% incline, and other than the long warm-up I felt great. One thing about running on a treadmill and practicing form is I have a hard time keeping my cadence at a higher than normal rate while on the treadmill - I find it much easier to do outdoors.

Next, I did a swim after work. The workout included a 1000m freestyle warm-up (5x100 + 2x250 pulling), then four broken five hundreds (200 pull, 2x50 drill, 4x50 free with about 10 sec. between each repetition or whatever you want to call 'em, except for 20 sec. between the middle 50s), and finally 300 cool down (3,300m total). Despite feeling tired in the afternoon, the swim was invigorating and I felt great in the water. My times for the 4x50s were decent - by the last set I figured out what effort I could hold and did 44sec, 43sec, 43sec, and 43sec, which was my best of the lot. Melissa said next week she'll have me do broken 200s (100, 5 sec rest, 100) because my times are consistent for 50s with a short rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment