Saturday, January 17, 2009

Long run + 2.5 hour trainer ride

Despite the approximate 10 degree F temperature, wind and snow, I knew today's 1:35 run would be more fun outside. After a 15 minute warm-up, I settled in to a HR around the high 140s for the next 1:15. I ended up doing with an average HR of 150 bpm at an average speed of 7:54 per mile. I think my speed slowed slightly over the course of the run, and my perceived exertion required to hold the same HR went up. Check out the graph below. The dashed line is pretty close to my average pace, and my pace is more frequently above the average as the run progresses:

Next, it was time for a trainer ride. After watching the last half-hour of Paranoid Park (Stacey's one word review when the credit's began rolling: "Boo!" - apparently, she thought the end was a bit abrupt) and the first half of Werner Herzog's Encounters at the End of the World (saving the second half for tomorrow's ride), Stacey put IM Hawaii '93 in the DVD player. Now, who do we see but a "camera friendly 24-year old" named Chuckie V! Nice race, man! I've gotta get my bike painted neon green - it's the new black.

Anyhow, given that Chuckie included a motivational mess
age ("QUIT WHINING and suck it up!") with this workout, I figured this was going to be a tough one. I decided to print the message and tape it up in case I needed motivation.

Turns out, the workout wasn't so bad. Not to say it was easy, but it wasn't particularly torturous.

Following a 30 min. warm-up, I did 4x4 min. big-gear pushin' in the aero position, followed by 10 minutes of normally riding, then another 4x4 min. standing pushin' a big gear. These were pretty easy, though I need to adjust my rear derailleur limit screw because it didn't want to go onto the 12 cog as I would have liked for the standing set (can't quit do 53x12...yet).

After the big-gear efforts, I settled into riding with a slightly higher than average cadence at 140 bpm, with a short break for 8x1min. one-leg peddling. However, by the end of the ride, I was getting pretty exhausted despite constant caloric intake (mmm...Cinnamon Pop-Tarts).

Now for the much await video of my position:

(The lighting needs some work. Sorry, it was Stacey'd directorial debut. Plus, at 43 seconds, it's practically the Lord of the Rings of bike position videos.)

The sole change made since I posted the position picture below is I have swapped in some Profile Design armrests that are extend further rearward and are positioned a little wider. I am just shy of being perfectly comfortable, with the main problem being that the rear ends of the armrests aren't sufficiently rigid to support me. As a result, the armrests bend a bit. I am almost positive I'm going to pull the trigger on a new basebar to get this exact position, but with my Vision extensions which have a very stiff armrest.

And, here's the front:

No comments:

Post a Comment